Re: Uppercase variant of U+00DF LATIN SMA LL LETTER SHARP S ("German s harp s", "▀" )

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 22:00:31 CST

    At 05:02 PM 2/17/2005, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >Asmus Freytag a Úcrit :
    >
    >>>I did not propose any solution to insure roundtrip between (lowercase)
    >>>▀ <-> SS,....
    >>
    >>But that's precisely the reason why people are using non-standard
    >>spellings for words like PRE▀BURG. ...
    >
    >Hmm. I have my doubts about what those requirements would be for a sign in
    >front of travel agency written "PRE▀BURG REISEN", maybe ignorance and wish
    >to look very Germanic in Bratislava by using a characteristic ▀. Also I
    >don't think there is a technical reason behind writing "GRO▀E HAUSMESSE"
    >on a poster.

    I realize that Karl's example is a better fit to my argument. I have
    appended it again at the end.

    >I have no problem with your proposal to use a <▀, FVS1>.

    Understood.

    A./

    PS: Karl had written:

    "▀" occurs in "Stra▀e" (street) and therefore is a very common part
    of postal addresses. This fact gives opportunity to show how the
    uppercasing of "▀" is really handled by official bodies:
    E.g. in my car papers from 2004, issued by a communal authority,
    my street is printed "KANZLEISTRA▀E".
    The Deutsche Post (German Post) requires forms (for new address
    after moving) to be filled in by all capital letters, but explicitly
    to write "▀" not "SS".