Re: IDN spoofing

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@vanderpoel.org)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 12:11:08 CST

    Tom Emerson wrote:
    > I'm not sure I buy into that. Sometimes the differences are *very*
    > minor, and with smallish screen fonts may be difficult to see,
    > especially when scanning text. Spotting the difference between 15
    > strokes and 16 strokes is difficult for anyone.

    Can you say "lawsuit"? Seriously, we can't stop the phishers dead in
    their tracks, but some will be prosecuted, and the browsers can only
    take steps to mitigate (e.g. by using a larger font for Han, as has
    already been mentioned in the UTR).

    > Add in the thousands
    > of ideographs added in Plane 2 and you are asking for phishing
    > expeditions.

    Um, the Japanese registry only allows the basic set JIS X 0208:

    http://www.iana.org/assignments/idn/jp-japanese.html

    Erik