E0000 Language Tags for Some Obscure Languages

From: UList@dfa-mail.com
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 11:04:31 CST

    Hello,

    What is the reaction to using E0000 language tags for Klingon and Phoenician.

    Klingon: use Latin transliteration text, plus a smart font to swap in Klingon
    glyphs when the E0000 "Klingon" language tags are encountered.

    Phoenician: use Hebrew transliteration text plus a smart font to swap in
    Phoenician glyphs when the E0000 "Phoenician" language tags are encountered.

    I know you love language tags!

    As far as I've been informed, only a limited list of "official"
    Microsoft-defined normal language tags can be recognized by an OpenType font.
    But the OT font should be able to recognize an E0000 codepoint string (as just
    codeponts) and do "context" glyph swapping [*].

    While these two languages might get added to the Microsoft list, I'm thinking
    of extending this principal to my beloved archaic Greek alphabets -- and the
    entire spectrum of NW Semitic scripts.... and after base cuneiform codepoint
    get added, variants for every localized cuneiform style .... mmmmm. Yummy.

    I can even justify putting Klingon on the Latin codepoints:

    Just draw a chart that shows Latin letters slowly *morphing* into Klingon glyphs.

    Claim Klingon glyphs are highly stylized, ornamental Latin letters.

    Knew you'd like that.

    Doug

    [*] Theoretically, using the official E0000 "Language" identifier properly for
    "custom languages", the OT font should even be able to recognize it as a real
    language tag... someday.

    This is old but hopefully reliable:

    <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr7/tr7-3.1.html#Language%20Tags>