Re: OT Language System Tags (Was: Re: E0000 Language Tags for Archaic Greek Alphabets)

From: UList@dfa-mail.com
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 21:24:35 CST

    Peter Constable wrote:

    > BTW, I don't rule out the use of variation selectors for variants in
    > archaic text. That's quite a different matter from Serbian. That's not
    > to say I think VSs should be handed out liberally.

    [Quietly so thrilled.]

    Not that I'd complain about having an official VS standard established for Greek...

    But as that does mean a lot more work for Unicode, and it's hard to herd cats
    (that is, get everyone in a field to agree *if* variants should be officially
    encoded, and *which* variants should be officially encoded) -- perhaps some
    "user-optional" VS-type codepoints would be less of a hassle from Unicode's perspective.

    Though *if* you could just access glyph variant sets in a smart from a Web
    page, Unicode wouldn't have to be bothered (and bothersome) in any way.

    Which is making this look very appealing at the moment (must be able to handle
    all smart font formats though):