Re: But E0000 Custom Language Tags Are Actually *Required* For Use By Unicode

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 12:04:42 CST

    To cut a long discussion to its essence:

    At 09:08 AM 3/2/2005, UList@dfa-mail.com wrote:
    >11. *Therefore*, some kind of "custom language tag" system is a
    >*requirement*, for Unicode to function as it is claimed it is *intended*
    >to function.

    Fraktur is a variant of Latin (sharing many aspects of what you discussed
    in your points 1-10, which I will not repeat here), but it is not accessed
    via a language tag, but via font shift.

    Therefore, your requirement is generalized to

    "Having some kind of system to capture a generalized stylistic variation
    within a script as defined by Unicode, would make it easier."

    No-one would disagree with that. Note that such a system does not need to
    reside on the encoding level, i.e. does not need to involve any feature of
    the Unicode Standard, and probably shouldn't.

    It would be ideal, if HTML or CSS had a more flexible, yet portable, method
    to capture such differences in character shapes in an interchangeable way.
    That would make your job easier. As it is, you can create and encode the
    texts, but users that don't have the same fonts as you do, will see generic
    shapes, not the specific ones.

    The same goes for any attempt to use HTML to create a facsimile of a
    Fraktur edition of, say, Goethe's works.

    As Peter pointed out, if such an extension was generically useful for a
    larger audience, it could gain acceptance. If not, it very likely will not
    be considered.

    In terms of your own project, you might consider the timeline. Getting any
    change into a standard, whether Unicode or CSS, takes years. And the more
    substantive the proposed change is, the longer it takes and the smaller the
    chances are that it will be adopted.

    A./