Re: Hentaigana

From: vlad (emperor.vlad@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 20:13:03 CST

    http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

    > >PS: the fact that these are not in current everyday use is somewhat
    > >immaterial - neither is Cuneiform. They do seem likely candidates
    > >for the representation of historic documents etc.
    >
    > Most definitely. And apparently it is still in somewhat limited use in
    > everyday Japanese life (kisoba shops for example).

    Yes, they do still occasionally see use. There's not much information
    on the web in English, but a quick search for 変体仮名 turned up
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/Gat_Tin/kanji/kana.htm, which gives some
    examples of their use, as well as the kanji they're derived from.