Re: CGJ for Two Greek Ligatures?

From: UList@dfa-mail.com
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 20:53:40 CST

    Hi Jon,

    I believe your analysis is incorrect. You leave no room for the period when
    separate characters are moving *toward* a unitary identity -- as regarded
    conceptually and/or as used in actual printing. And you leave no room for a
    permanently incomplete unification, with acceptable variation in normal use.
    And you leave no room for a unified symbol in printing use, which nonetheless
    still has a clearly separable meaning conceptually, to which it could
    acceptably default if really necessary.

    You can write the words "one divided by four" or you can write "1/4" as three
    characters, or you can write "1/4" as a ligature to make it fit in nicely with
    your text.

    In this Greek context, "epsilon/omicron" and "eta/omega" still very much have
    a separable conceptual identity -- the slash is literally an instruction to
    the reader, saying use one "or" the other in your conjugation.

    And from the badly kerned triplets I've seen, it has certainly been *formed*
    as a ligature in printing tradition.

    And in a practical sense today, as well, it would be silly for me to invent a
    post-ligature identity for this -- as the separate characters are perfectly
    readable -- just like 1/4 -- without the ligature if necessary.

    Thank goodness Unicode has the flexibility in this one situation, if none
    other, that the opinions a very small number of people can't rule the world
    for everyone else who uses typography!

    Doug