double hyphen

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 02:47:31 CST

    Kenneth Whistler a écrit :

    >--Ken
    >^^
    >A sequence of two <002D, 002D>, not used contrastively with em dash.
    >(Note that Dean himself, in his e-mail, uses a single U+002D as
    >an em dash.)

    BTW, the "cleverness" of some software that replace this « - - » into an
    emdash presents more problem today in France since a new family name
    decree has become law. I leave a space between the two "-" here, so
    that the double hyphen appears clearly with all fonts.

    The old traditional system :

    Jeanne Dupont (nom simple, usually father's name)

    Pierre Duval-Laperrie (nom composé, usually father's name not divisible,
    there was no law in fact)

    The new law introduces this additional form :

    Hugues Duval - - Dupont (nom double, with on each side of "- -" part or
    the whole name of the mother or father.)

    So if, in a few year's time, « Hugues Duval - - Dupont » meets « Astrid
    Duchamps - - Dubois de Ponthoze-Miomandre » and have children, these
    children could have 14 family names (but once a name is given to a child
    his kin will have the same (kin family name) name, contrarily to Quebec
    which in practice abolishes the family name since all children could
    have different a name among the 14) :

    1. Duval
    2. Dupont
    3. Duchamps
    4. Dubois de Ponthoze-Miomandre
    5. Duval - - Dupont
    6. Duchamps - - Dubois de Ponthoze-Miomandre
    7. Dupont - - Dubois de Ponthoze-Miomandre
    8. Dubois de Ponthoze-Miomandre - - Dupont
    9. Duval - - Dubois de Ponthoze-Miomandre
    10. Dubois de Ponthoze-Miomandre - - Duval
    11. Duval - - Duchamps
    12. Duchamps - - Duval
    13. Dupont - - Duchamps
    14. Duchamps - - Dupont