Re: Incorrect names for Arabic letters

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 16:17:34 CST

    Asmus Freytag a écrit :

    > At 01:42 AM 3/19/2005, Ahmad Gharbeia wrote:
    >
    >> While the mentioned letters' names in their current incorrect state
    >> reflect the colloquial pronunciation in Egypt, where I am from, they
    >> are not the canonical, globally understood letter names and are
    >> considered invalid.

    [Ahmad quoted]

    0628 ARABIC LETTER BEH -> baa'
    062A  ARABIC LETTER TEH -> taa'
    062B  ARABIC LETTER THEH -> thaa'
    062D ARABIC LETTER HAH -> haa'
    062E ARABIC LETTER KHAH -> khaa'
    062F ARABIC LETTER DAL -> daal
    0630 ARABIC LETTER THAL -> dhaal
    [end quote]

    > [AF] The names used for Arabic characters in Unicode therefore ultimately
    > have a heritage that can be traced back several decades. It is ironic
    > that early drafts of the Unicode Standard indeed used the names that
    > you prefer.

    Without the apostrophe in Unicode 1.0 (U+0320 seems also to have been
    named THAL in Unicode 1.0 seemed).

    BTW, the French names of these characters in the French version of the
    ISO/IEC 10646 do have different names closer to what Ahmad mentioned
    (with the apostrophe but without double As).

    E.g. :

    0628 LETTRE ARABE BA'
    062A LETTRE ARABE TA'
    ..