RE: Security Issues

From: Shawn Steele (shawnste@winse.microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 12:56:39 CST

    Asmus Freytag said:

    > It's always necessary to remember that the goal is domain names, not
    > simply modern prose (or poetry ;=).

    I'm not sure this is always true. Someone suggested that Toys R Us might want to register ToysñUs.com. I'm not sure that technical folks would think this was reasonable, however I'm pretty sure that marketing folks would think it's a good idea. They wouldn't really care if it violates orthographic rules or not.

    So I'm not sure that some business might choose "poetic" names and orthographies even if they aren't in real use. Someone like toysrus would have to register a Latin equivalent, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted something that better approximates their logo as well...

    - Shawn