Re: U+0023

From: Timothy Partridge (
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 16:37:46 CST

  • Next message: John Hudson: "Re: Unicode coming to Quark XPress"

    Jony Rosenne recently said:

    > What is the British English name of U+0023? What is it called on the
    > telephone keypad?

    Personally, I would call it a hash (sign) in the context of a telephone
    keypad, or computers.

    In the phrase "opera #1", I would read it as "number", so it could also be
    described as "number sign".

    In the UK it is not used as an abbreviation for pound (weight); "lb" is used
    instead. A US book which referred to the "pound sign" being used in a table
    confused me, as I expected the pound sterling currency symbol!


    Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Mon Mar 28 2005 - 16:51:54 CST