Re: Unicode coming to Quark XPress

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 16:44:58 CST

    At 14:15 -0800 2005-03-28, John Hudson wrote:

    >I was at the Typotechnica presentation from Quark, and while it is
    >nice to finally see them moving on Unicode and OpenType the level of
    >support was less impressive than many had hoped. The consensus of
    >people I spoke to (mainly type designers and font developers) was
    >that Quark's Unicode and OpenType support is a straight clone of the
    >level of support in InDesign CS, right down to the list of OpenType
    >Layout features supported and the new glyph pallette. It was
    >disappointing to not see a single new idea that wasn't directly
    >based on what Adobe have already done.

    I disagree. I typeset a book in Irish, English, and Chinese in
    InDesign. That program is SLOW compared to Quark. I suppose it's
    grand for magazine production with lots of colour illustrations and
    graphics, but Quark is superior for book production. I say this as
    someone who typesets books on a regular basis.

    >On the Unicode front, you can expect multibyte character encoding
    >support, but not complex script or bidi layout.

    In the short term, that is a lot better than just supporting Mac
    WorldScript in Quark Passport.