Re: U+0023 in French

From: Ludovic Janssens (Ludovic@peeters-leuven.be)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 01:43:17 CST

    Philippe VERDY wrote:

    >Add the only recognized name for '#' in French: "dièse", after the name of the musical symbol. In French, this symbol is not used and recognized for anything else than musical notation, or for the symbol that is shown on phone keypads and that everybody calls "dièse" too.
    >
    >(So NO connection with any currency or weight units, and is not apparently never used as an abbreviation too, and if you ask to people about such usage they will think it means "different from" as an alternate representation with two slashes over the equal sign).

    This is the same in Dutch "#" is called "hekje" which means "little
    fence" and is not related to any weight or currency unit. It is rather
    used as a sign for a count or a number. e.g. apples: #8 could mean there
    are 8 apples or (rather) that you need the 8th apple. Belgian keyboards
    are on this issue like the French, except for the apple keyboards, which
    have a slightly different lay out and show # as shift+@ in the upper
    left corner instead of superscript 3.

    >I can't remember if another character was initially mapped on the 0x23 position of the obsolete ISO-636-French 7-bit charset standardized in the 1960's as I have always seen this character shown as '#' on all French products (it's possible that it was showing a pound sign on some imported products like printers).

    As always with Belgian products, they follow(ed) more or less the French
    way...