Re: U+0023

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 12:57:51 CST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > On 30/03/2005 22:09, Charles wrote:
    >> ... The "#" as a number sign I would regard as relatively
    >> uncommon in British usage by comparison with "No." (U+2116).
    >>
    > I agree that we write "No." rather than "#". But we use a simple string
    > "N", "o", ".", rather than U+2116. U+2116 is commonly used as a single
    > character in Cyrillic script (which has no "N" shape). Indeed it is
    > included in Russian typewriters and computer keyboards as a single-width
    > character, accessed by the "1" key (to get "1", type shift-1).

    Old mechanic French typewriters also had a key (on the left of the "1" key)
    for "N" as a single character, sometimes printed with a underlined o on
    some models, before it was replaced by various symbols, and now today on PC
    by the exponent 2 digit.

    In French texts, we can see today either "No." or "no." entered as 3 basic
    letters and a dot, or "N" or "n" with two characters where the second is
    the degree symbol on Shift+")", located on PC keyboards between the "0" and
    "+" keys. But never "#"... When "N" is used it is always meaning an ordinal
    (rank) that abbreviates the term "numro", and not a cardinal meaning "count
    of" which in French is "nombre" commonly abbreviated as "Nbr." or "Nb."
    (with or without the capitalization of N).

    I think that Spanish users will use the masculine letter mark to compose
    "N" or "n", as they don't have the degree symbol on their native keyboard.
    (It may even happen that the real degree unit sign, for example in "6041'N
    516'W", is written using this masculine letter mark).

    I don't know what Italians enter, but the "No." abbreviation is also common
    there.