Re: String name and Character Name

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 05:47:48 CST

    At 10:09 +0100 2005-04-11, Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:

    >Calling by names, calling by a misleading and abusive names, calling
    >a name with intent to oppress is not acceptable.

    Sinnnaturai Srivas, stop this rhetoric right now. This is the
    Universal Character Set. It is one of our species' greatest
    achievements and those of us who are privileged to participate in
    contributing to its development recognize it as such.

    Your suggestion that any one of us has "intent to oppress" the Tamil
    language or people is vile, and it is wrong, and I cannot allow it to
    pass without comment.

    Character names once standardized CANNOT BE CHANGED. They cannot be
    changed. They cannot be changed. This is a rule of the International
    Standard.

    Given those parameters, you must cease to make the attacks and
    complaints you are making. They embarrass you, and insult us.

    We will review the text referring to this character to ensure that it
    is annotated appropriately and with sensitivity. We will not change
    the character name (because the character name CANNOT BE CHANGED).