Re: String name and Character Name

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 08:13:50 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Look at it this way: The fact that everybody is saying the same
    >thing -- that the name isn't going to be changed because of iron-clad
    >stability policies -- should prove that it has nothing to do with
    >disrespect or insult to the Tamil people, language, or script. It would
    >be the same for anyone else.

    It is demonstrably the same for anyone else. There are other cases
    going on like this that we all have to smile and cope with, just as in
    the Tamil case. There is no HEBREW ACCENT ZINOR, it should be TSINOR,
    and what's more it really should be ZARQA but HEBREW ACCENT ZARQA should
    be called TSINNORIT (zarqa and tsinor are the same thing, and tsinnorit
    is something else, but Unicode has the names backwards). The Hebrew
    vowels have the wrong combining classes, and we work out ways to handle
    the cases where that messes things up. And of course the classic
    example of BYZANTINE MUSICAL SYMBOL FHTORA SKLIRON CHROMA VASIS, which
    should be FTHORA but someone *mistyped the damn word*, and it *still*
    isn't being changed. Everyone else has to cope with it too. Deal.

    ~mark