Fonts, glyphs and infinite Unicode (was String name etc).

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 03:32:12 CST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]On
    Behalf Of Hans Aberg
    Sent: 23 April 2005 19:33
    To: Doug Ewell
    Subject: Re: String name and Character Name

    > We are essentially back at a discussion held here sometime ago: The
    > limit of number of Unicode code points is due to design flaw in the
    > UTF-16 encoding, where the engineers who did it failed to properly
    > separate the notions of character numbers and integer-to-binary
    > encoding. If one makes that separation, it is easy to extend the
    > ranges to even to infinity, if one so likes. This can easily done
    > with UTF-8/32, and also with some effort with UTF-16. One can then
    > have sufficiently many private code points for every citizen of the
    > world to register as many characters they can by hand. Note though
    > that a requirement of supplying a glyph in a public rendering format
    > would probably diminish the number of submissions. One can also have
    > other restrictions, to exclude submissions which in some ways are not
    > considered serious. But the examples on the pages you indicate would
    > probably qualify for inclusion.
    > --
    > Hans Aberg

    I am aware that there is a problem, but I don't believe it's the one that Hans
    has identified. I'd say it was best exemplified by the following question:
    suppose I wanted to publish a web page about music, using the Unicode musical
    characters. How would I do that, exactly?

    The reality is, I simply wouldn't. I'd give up. I'd use IMAGES for my musical
    notes, not characters. And so would any serious web designer.

    Why? Because /there is no way to guarantee that viewers of my web site will
    possess the required font!/ And in fact, in this particular case, it is HIGHLY
    LIKELY that they won't.

    So ... if I can't even use all Unicode characters safely, the chance of my
    getting away with PUA characters in a web page is basically zilch.

    Hans's solution (to allow a potentially infinite number of glyphs) might solve
    this, because, if some web service existed which could translate a number into
    a glyph, that mechanism would presumably work just as well for Unicode glyphs
    as for PUA glyphs. But it is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and in my
    opinion goes way, way further than is needed.

    So here's what I would suggest as an alternative. This is out of the scope of
    the Unicode Consortium now, and I suspect the correct relevant body is probably
    the W3C consortium. Anyway, I reckon a small addition to CSS could solve the
    problem, something like:

    : font-url = "http://url.of.relevant.font.ttf"

    which would allow you to specify, for example, something like:

    : p { font-url = "http://url.of.musical.font.ttf" }

    to allow web pages containing musical characters to display correctly, or

    : p { font-url = "http://url.of.CSUR.font.ttf" }

    to allow web pages containing Klingon characters to display correctly, and so
    on. I'm sure those clever folk at W3C can figure out a way of having multiple
    URLs specified to allow a choice of fonts for different codepoint ranges.

    So, to summarise - I think there /is/ a problem, but I think that the solution
    lies with an extension to CSS, and corresponding changes to web browsers to
    implement that.

    Jill

    PS. Thanks for the idea, Hans.