RE: String name and Character Name

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 14:19:29 CST

    Jon Hanna recently said:

    > > >U+002F "SOLIDUS" = virgule, shilling (British)
    [snip]
    > No, d was the abbreviation of penny, from the Roman "denarius", s was the
    > abbreviation of shilling, from the Roman "solidus". While / was a separator
    > at the same time it could be read as "shilling" in 2/6, though clearly not
    > in £4/2/6. So £3 4s 6d or £3/4/6 would be the notations used.

    I wouldn't put a slash between the pounds and the shillings. £3 4s. 6d. or
    the older 3l. 4s. 6d. (There once was a time when bright young things could
    telegraph home "Send more lsd" when lsd meant money.) The l is for the Latin
    libra (pound, also scales)

    > > >U+002A "ASTERISK" = star (on phone keypads)
    > > >-- is calling an asterisk a "star" restricted to
    > > >phones (C programmers call it a star as well) ?
    > > >Do I care ?
    >
    > C programmers use that consciously as somewhere between jargon and slang, as
    > indeed they may use "splat", "gear", "twinkle", "glob" and other names. I
    > don't think we need note the terms programmers use of most symbols outside
    > of jargon.txt.

    Asterisk comes from Latin asteriscus (little star) from Latin aster (star).

       Tim

    --
    Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer