Re: Code Point -- What is the integer?

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 08:33:59 CST

    Scriobh Hans Aberg:
    > First
    > make a clear logical definition, but then also supply intuitive user
    > concepts.

    Yes!

    > > > For example, I would no have use the word "character" everywhere, and
    > >> used the word "set" for a collection of something, rather than
    > >> different words like "repertoire".
    > >
    > >The word "set" was already in use for an ordered and often coded
    > >collection.

    True.

    > ...there should perhaps be a notion
    > of input abstract characters. And so on. Unicode mixes all these
    > together in the notion of "abstract characters", without explicitly
    > clearly separating them.

    Also true.

    Would it help to simply (a) use the words/term 'graphic character' for
    the usuals/majority (i.e., characters which display on the screen as
    alpha and/or numeric for use in text), and (b) 'non-graphic' for what
    are sometimes now referred to in Unicode as 'abstract characters' (such
    as ESC)?

    I speak here only as a terminologist, and make this suggestion with no
    anticipation at all of its being accepted (only to help, if I can).

    Best,
    mg

    --
    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)