Re: Cyrillic - accented/acuted vowels

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 13:22:51 CDT

    James Kass <jameskass at att dot net> wrote:

    > All you need in order to be able to print Cyrillic with combining
    > diacritics (as needed for text books etc.) is a good OpenType font
    > covering Cyrillic, including the combining diacritics, and having
    > OpenType glyph positioning tables. And, a system plus applications
    > which support such OpenType rendering.

    Since David is apparently just learning about the capabilities of
    different font technologies, and the difference between encoding and
    rendering issues, I would point out that accented Cyrillic can also be
    printed correctly with font technologies other than OpenType, at least
    in theory. Unicode is not dependent on any particular vendor's or
    consortium's technology.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California