Re: Data compression

From: Elliotte Harold (elharo@metalab.unc.edu)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 07:02:18 CDT

    Barring independent verification, I'm skeptical of the claim. Data
    compression is a field second only to encryption in the amount of snake
    oil that's come and gone over the last couple of decades. This is not
    the first time I've heard spectacular claims made for new compression
    systems only to never see them actually reach the market. At least with
    compression it tends to be really obvious that a system doesn't work.
    With data encryption sometimes the flaws aren't as readily apparent.

    Perhaps this researcher really has found a technique everybody else
    missed. But I'll believe it once I see a shipping product. Until then I
    remain skeptical.