RE: Full Unicode Computer Keyboard

From: Mustafa Jabbar (mjabbar@bangla.net)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 03:37:06 CDT

    A keyboard or an input method for Indic languages can be very ideal in the
    way we have implemented.
    We implemented Bangla Keybaord named Bijoy since 1988. We have 11 Vowels, 9
    vowel signs, 39 consonants and two special signs. We have taken 52
    characters (As equal to Upper & Lower Roman Keys) with 11 (Vowel/Vowel
    Signs- either of the two), 39 Consonants and two special signs. There are a
    few thousand conjuncts which are in fact combination of basic characters. We
    have used a special sign( Halant or Hasanta) as the midifier.
    In practice ( we are practicing it for 17 years) we have found that we are
    not having any problem.
    Bangla has almost all the characters like any other Indic langauge.
    Either it is Unicode or ASCII, we are to generate the characters. As
    Opentype can take care of the formation, conjuncts are created by font
    designing tools.
    For Indic Languages we feel that our solution is the best as of now.
    In my opinion other languages can find out similiar approaches which might
    be very specific to that particular language.