Re: Cyrillic guillemotleft and guillemotright

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 14:20:16 CDT

    On 14/05/2005 18:29, Hans Aberg wrote:

    > At 17:44 +0100 2005/05/14, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> On 14/05/2005 00:19, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >>> That was the first time I saw the term "guillemet" in English. Could
    >>> I have incorrectly learned the term "guillemot" from unreliable
    >>> sources, or from other "standards"? May be it was in glyph names for
    >>> Postscript Level 1 fonts? I can't remember.
    >>

    >> Quite possibly you copied the error from others. Actually Andrey and
    >> Hans both used the incorrect form before you did in this thread, so I
    >> am not blaming you.
    >

    > The error arouse from the original poster, the others copying it over.
    > The blame arouse with the blamer. :-)

    Well, Hans, I could have pointed out that Andrey correctly quoted the
    Postscript names "guillemotleft" and "guillemotright" (and whoever
    decided on that standard had the right to use the name of a bird rather
    than the name usually used by typographers), and you were I think the
    first to use the word "guillemot" as a standalone word. But I don't
    blame anyone for a typo, I just want to put the record straight.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)