Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 18:40:55 CDT

    On 18/05/2005 22:25, Michael Everson wrote:

    > Even if it were, it remains the case that such "perfection" will still
    > build on the analysis of the world's writing systems which we are
    > doing today as we encode scripts and characters. It is not arrogance
    > to recognize that this work will, in fact, be used for centuries, if
    > our civilization endures. It is realistic assessment of the work of
    > analysis and encoding and its utility.

    On the other hand, future standardisers will no doubt recognise, as
    those of us who are not arrogant must do today, that there are
    inadequacies and limitations in some of "the analysis of the world's
    writing systems which we are doing today". Parts of the analysis will
    stand for centuries, if our civilisation survives, but other parts will
    be rejected as inadequate. And these future standardisers will seek to
    correct the ways in which these inadequacies have been incorporated into
    Unicode in ways which cannot be changed under the stability policy.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)