Re: Two new Public Review Issues

From: Dominikus Scherkl (lyratelle@gmx.de)
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 06:58:07 CDT

    >69 Proposed Update UAX #24, Script Names
    >
    >This is an initial update for Unicode 5.0.0 which proposes the addition of
    >an appendix of iconic script indicators, derivative from the usage of last
    >resort font missing glyph forms. Additional updates will be needed to
    >reflect the planned additions of scripts to 5.0.0. Those will be in a
    >subsequent draft.

    Hm. Those Icons aren't realy too descriptive. Especailly why was
    the very ambigous letter "A" choosen to represent the latin script?
    (I remember the use of "L" in earlier character-charts, which is both
    more unique to latin and is also the first letter of it's name.

    I can't say much to other scrips (except that for hiragana the ひ [hi]
    glyph seems to me a better choice), but I suspect that for some there
    would be also better choices...

    Best Regards

    --
    Dominikus Scherkl