Re: Two new Public Review Issues

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 10:31:29 CDT

    >> 69 Proposed Update UAX #24, Script Names
    >>
    >> This is an initial update for Unicode 5.0.0 which proposes the
    >> addition of an appendix of iconic script indicators, derivative from
    >> the usage of last resort font missing glyph forms. Additional updates
    >> will be needed to reflect the planned additions of scripts to 5.0.0.
    >> Those will be in a subsequent draft.

    I'd be interested to know what the envisioned application of these icons
    would be, in a little more detail than "in many circumstances [they] can
    be useful." What sort of circumstances?

    It seems odd to me for Unicode to get into the business of assigning
    icons for things. Historically what we have done is assign numeric
    codes, properties, and perhaps some order and structure to existing
    characters and scripts, and *occasionally* invent a new character.
    Creating a set of visual icons, or in this case borrowing them from
    Apple and "recommending" them, seems rather vendor- and
    application-specific, and an expansion of the scope of the Unicode
    Standard.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California