Re: Ligatures fi and ffi

From: Rajeev J Sebastian (rajeev_jsv@dinamis.com)
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 20:28:39 CDT

    On Wednesday 01 June 2005 5:24 pm, Hans Aberg wrote:
    > At 17:44 +0100 2005/06/01, Jon Hanna wrote:
    > >>If one so wants, one can add all the glyphs one wants, adding a
    > >>property field saying that it is a rendering character.
    > >
    > >No, we cannot. That would completely change the scope and purpose of
    > > Unicode.
    >
    > It would change the scope of the current character set in that respect.
    >
    > So what do you feel is the purpose of Unicode? -- In the context the
    > quote above is taken from, I am speaking about glyphs that are used
    > to give proper rendering to semantic characters.
    I may not fully understand this thread, but what you are saying, has already
    been implemented: TrueType Open and OpenType Font handle ligatures (for any
    language) by tagging a ligature glyph with the semantic (unicode) codepoints.
    So the ffi ligature is tagged with "f+f+i". Similiar things are done for
    placement of diacritics, and also optionally using positioning instead of
    precomposing the ligatures into unencoded positions in the font file.

    Rajeev J Sebastian