Multiple diacritics

From: Jan Strunk (strunkjan@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 07:57:10 CDT

    Hello,

    I am new to this list, so sorry if I ask a question that has been answered
    before!

    I am a computational linguist working together with some field linguists who
    do work on Amazonian languages. They need the following characters with
    diacritics:

    1. U+0268 latin small letter i with stroke combined with an accute accent

        The problem with this combination is that the result contains the normal dot of the i plus the accute
        accent. I haven't found any way so far to get a small i with stroke without dot to put the accent on.

    2. They would also like to put a diaresis on small and big enye.
        U+00F1 latin small letter n with tilde combined with a combining diaeresis (U+0308)
        U+00D1 latin big letter n with tilde combined with a combining diaeresis (U+0308)

        The problem with these combinations is that the diaeresis is not printed above the tilde but
        on top of it, so that it is in fact no longer visible. This might be either simply a font problem
        or a problem with unicode which doesn't allow you to use two diacritics above the same letter.

    I would be very thankful for any suggestions regarding these problems.

    Best regards!

    Jan Strunk
    strunk@linguistics.rub.de
    Sprachwissenschaftliches Institut