Re: Arabic Joining Classes

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 03:34:06 CDT

    >So far, I haven't seen evidence/proof that *initial* and *medial*
    >forms of letter ya *without dots* (and without hamza) exit in Arabic.

    Yes maybe not in post-modern newspaper Arabic but throughout its history ya and various other letters have been written without dots and sometimes with different dots in Arabic, including initial and medial forms. Taking a snapshot of Arabic writing at a specific point in time won't give you the overall picture of how Arabic has been written.

    Regards,

    Mete

    --
    Mete Kural