Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 16:44:26 CDT

    It is always possible to replace a ligature by a sequence of shapes which,
    when put together, form the ligature shape. These then can each have the
    style of the corresponding original character. However, this does depend on
    the rendering system placing the glyphs exactly adjacent to one another so
    that the result is reasonable. (In earlier lives I remember that we created
    Arabic shaping forms to slightly overlap, so that if there were variances in
    positioning it would not leave a gap.)

    However, whether it is worthwhile for the average font designer to go to the
    (perhaps considerable) extra trouble to do this is questionable, so the
    rendering system always needs to be prepared to deal with real ligatures;
    and applying a uniform style to them based on some combination of the styles
    of the component characters is a perfectly reasonable approach.

    ‎Mark