Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 17:38:06 CDT

    Mark Davis wrote:

    > It is always possible to replace a ligature by a sequence of shapes which,
    > when put together, form the ligature shape.

    Yes, although I can think of some traditional Greek ligatures that would be hard to break
    into shape sequences that obviously correspond to the underlying characters. Knowing which
    parts of a Latin fi ligature correspond to which underlying characters, and hence which
    might be rendered as separate and independently coloured shaped, is not difficult.
    Something like the attached graphic is trickier.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com