Re: It is easy to predict the past.

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 13:22:42 CDT

    Mete Kural writes:
    > >Let me predict that someone will want so badly to color the alif portion of
    > >a lam-alif ligature that he makes a gif of what that ligature would look
    > >like and posts it here.
    >

    > Yup, you're right. We have some special needs to color parts of an
    > Arabic word in a different color.
    [...]

    'nuff said. "Special needs" should be handled by a customized version
    of Pango or some other rendering engine that can be modified to deal
    with this, and not adding endless and generally needless complication
    to an already complicated issue.

    The next thing people are going to want is a way to use IDC sequences
    mixed with markup so they can colorize part of a hanzi.

        -tree

    Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com