RE: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 18:36:44 CDT

    From: "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com>
    >I understand the need you describe. As I said before, I think an
    >application would need to do this kind of thing, not a shaping engine
    >like Uniscribe or Pango.

    Thank you Peter. If you can internally mention this need to the Internet Explorer people in the company I would really appreciate it. You can mention to them that a cheap way to implement this feature could be by just going with vertically splitting the ligature into two, three, etc (depending on the number of characters ligature is composed of) equal parts and coloring them accordingly, similar to how the cursor is positioned over the ligature in Word. The way John Hudson mentions is a much better approach which may better to be adopted for the longer term.

    Regards,
    Mete

    --
    Mete Kural