Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Tim Greenwood (timothy.greenwood@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 14:35:07 CDT

    On 6/15/05, Gregg Reynolds <unicode@arabink.com> wrote:
    > The point being that we always have these two things - text and its
    > representation - and we don't have (or use, at least) precise
    > terminology for talking about them. It's misleading and confusing to
    > say that multicolored text is not plaintext when in fact we have no way
    > of inferring the form of the original coded message based solely on its
    > representation.

    I love these semantic discussions and your argument has merit. However
    for this list the salient point is that the Unicode standard says (and
    should say) as much about how any application colors any part of text
    as the ASCII standard says how emacs should color the keywords in C
    program listing.

    Tim