RE: Arabic letters separated by markup (SIL has done it)

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 18:10:59 CDT

    Hello Peter,

    Yeah I understand that not everyone may need or like being able to color individual letters. Escpecially if they are a native speaker of Arabic such as the Jordanian you mention. I think the greatest value of being able to color individual letters can be more appreciated by students and teachers of Arabic who want to use it as a tool of emphasis, and scholars of Arabic at universities in writing research papers, etc. It may not be an everyday need as you say and certainly not everyone needs it, but nor everyone needs a font like Traditional Arabic over the default Windows Arabic font. Microsoft must have included Traditional Arabic in the Windows distribution for those subset of users who want to use a typeface that is more traditional than the one see today on Arabic newspapers and books. Although the subset of users who may need this coloring feature is even smaller, it doesn't seem to me like it would be that much trouble to at least color the ligature based on the cursor positioning method (as opposed to
     the more difficult to implement but superior method of using ligatura-like typeforms as John Hudson wrote about).

    Well I guess we have exhausted discussion on this topic on this list so I suggest we do any further discussion privately.

    Regards,
    Mete