Re: Tamil sha (U+0BB6) - deprecate it?

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (sisrivas@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 22:34:53 CDT

    Tamil has a slot of it's own and script of it's own.
    Sanskrit was created from Tamil and vocabulary was added from various
    European languages.

    But Sanskrit started to deviate from Tamil and became an entity of it's own.
    There have been problem over the history, in that Sanskrit tried to change
    Tamil as it did for other Indic languages.

    Indic languages use either Tamil or European base words. Indic languages use
    European words for even the very basic vocabulary, such as Mother, Father,
    Daughter, etc.. etc..

    It is not the desire of Tamil to stop any one from using European language
    in such a massive scale. It is only the wish of Tamil to stay Indian. There
    are reasonably little impact of Sanskrit over Tamil, but if as allowed to
    continue Tamil will also become another European language.

    Please, please leave us alone. We have a great tradition and want to keep
    that identity.
    Quite a number, a massive number has already converted. Leave us to survive
    in our own ways. We too have a very sophisticated language, not lacking in
    any significant way to other European languages. We also have the ancient
    tag to carry with it.

    Please save Tamil from this onslaught.

    Tamil has allocated code points in Unicode and please remove 0bb6 as it is
    not a Tamil character, but a Sanskrit character.

    Srivas