RE: [hebrew] Re: Baseline level line?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 11:57:49 CDT

    > From: hebrew-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:hebrew-bounce@unicode.org] On
    Behalf
    > Of Michael Everson

    > >While I supported the invisible letter proposal, what I really
    favoured
    > >was an ellipsis base letter -- that is, a character that functions
    like
    > >a surrogate base when an actual base is not present, and that can
    take
    > >alternate visual realizations, such as a blank, a line or an x-height
    > >asterisk.
    >
    > I don't quite understand what you mean by the latter is

    I mean a character with a general category Lo and other character
    properties typical of a letter, though with neutral directionality. The
    representative glyph would have advance but no ink; valid font
    implementations could have ink -- e.g. a hyphen or asterisk -- and could
    offer alternate glyphs (using font features). Because glyphs *could*
    have ink, I would not call this "invisible letter"; something like
    "ellipsis letter" would be more appropriate.

    Peter Constable