Re: Jumping Cursor. Was: Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 13:03:14 CDT

    For what it's worth, Peter R. Mueller-Roemer asked:

    > Would someone, please, make a formal proposal to the Technical
    > Committee to provide space, punctuation marks and possibly more
    > characters with both the R- and L-property.

    I am not speaking in any official capacity, but I belive there is no
    chance that the committee would do this. The bidi model is now over 15
    years old. It was devised by a rather large committee of experts over a
    long period of time. It has been implemented widely in many products for
    many years. In all that time and in all these implementations, there has
    apparently been no need shown for directional specific punctuation. In
    fact, such punctuation would screw up the bidi model; it would make all
    existing data obsolete, etc.

            Rick