Jumping Cursor. Was: Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Peter R. Mueller-Roemer (pmr@cs.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 07:26:17 CDT

    Dear Adam,
    I share your dismay about the cursor (and letters) jumping right and
    back left again. It is not a configuration problem.

    It is no surprise that the characters [!?,.] jump to R (the Right)
    because they have either the L (for L2R) or neutral directional property.
    It is a reasonable and practical decision for entering mixed text
    alternating between R2L and L2R text (on the same line) but I hate it if
    the cursor jumps after an Alef to R just because I want to enter a SPace
    and to jump back to L when entering Beth. Changing the bidi direction
    only on whole paragraphs does not alleviate these problems with entering
    different texts on the same line.

    Would someone, please, make a formal proposal to the Technical Committee
    to provide space, punctuation marks and possibly more characters with
    both the R- and L-property. It would allow to change
    Hebrew/Arabic-keyboard-layouts
    easily to generate just the desired SP,!,...

    The MS-KeyboardLayoutCreator does not seem to allow to change the
    R/L-property of SP....

    Sincerely Peter R. Mueller-Roemer