Re: Jumping Cursor. Was: Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 17:32:13 CDT

    Gregg Reynolds wrote:

    > But I get the distinct impression such a proposal would have virtually
    > no chance of adoption. Am I overly pessimistic?

    It's a non-starter. Aside from the valid objections already mentioned,
    it just breaks the logic of Unicode (such logic as there is). The
    implication then is that the "3" in a price in an Israeli catalog is
    not, in fact, the same symbol (underlying Platonic character) as the the
    "3" in a Russian catalog. All those characters are pretty well agreed
    to be "the same ones" in RtL as they are in LtR scripts. If all you
    need is override directionality, well, that's why God created
    directionality override characters.

    ~mark