Re: Letters missing for 19th century Latvian orthography?

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 13:12:14 CDT

    Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 um 19:32 schrieb Chris Jacobs:

    CJ> I think this looks very much like the situation of n with macron which was
    CJ> discussed on this list.

    CJ> If those chars can be encoded with

    CJ> U+0337 COMBINING SHORT SOLIDUS OVERLAY or
    CJ> U+0338 COMBINING LONG SOLIDUS OVERLAY

    CJ> then I guess the missing ones would not be encoded.

    Of course. But I remember somehow that combinations of letters with
    things which cross or cover them will be treated as new encodeable characters,
    unlike combinations of letters with diacritics which are attached to the
    letter (like ogonek) or do not touch the letter at all (like macron).

    Is this assumption correct? If yes, is this documented somewhere?

    In fact, e.g. U+023B / U+023C LATIN CAPITAL (resp. SMALL) LETTER WITH
    STROKE were added in Unicode 4.1, and according to the roadmap some
    letters with "bar", "double bar", "middle tilde" and "stroke" were
    accepted e.g. at 2004-11-18 for code points 2C60-2C64.

    - Karl