Re: Strange "UTF" Charset

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 12:30:05 CDT

    On Aug 8, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > But what does the textual content look like? I see it as
    > \6B61\8FCE\4F7F\7528 ...
    > on Win NT Mozilla. And that looks like badly converted data to me.

    Upon further research, it seems that this site sends totally different
    pages to different browsers. In Mac OS X, Safari and FireFox get a
    page with the bogus charset and the backslash escapes for Chinese
    characters, which of course neither can display. Mac IE and Opera seem
    to get a normal page with a UTF-8 charset and UTF-8 encoded characters
    which display fine.