Re: Portuguese (Brazil) and Portuguese (Portugal)

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 12:30:04 CDT

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Jon Hanna wrote:

    > There is only one Unicode set.

    ... at a given moment of time; characters can be added to Unicode in new
    versions.

    However, perhaps the question referred to "Unicode set" as "subset of the
    repertoire of Unicode characters, needed to write a particular language".
    Alternatively (and this is what I guess what the question really means),
    the question might have referred to different language selection menus in
    programs. Such menus often appear in (too) close connection to choices
    related to character encoding.

    > Different nations using the same language often used different character sets
    > to support different currencies, different frequencies of loan words and so
    > on. This is one of the things Unicode saves us from worrying about.

    It does, but the question "which characters does a particular language
    need?" is still relevant and difficult - it isn't even a well-defined
    question before you spend quite some time on it. This question, in turn,
    affects keyboard design, font choices, input checks, text scanning, etc.

    There doesn't seem to be any difference between the two versions of
    Portuguese as regards to the character repertoire, as judged by
    the current CLDR data:
    http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/by_type/characters.html
    There _could_ be a difference, though.

    Language selection menus often contain country-specific variants of
    languages for no good reason: the choice between them usually has no
    effect. (The language forms could be different, but not in a manner that
    affects the behavior of programs.) Spelling checks are probably the most
    common (potential) area where e.g. the difference between two versions of
    Portuguese might matter.