Re: Missing capital H from Unicode range (see 1E96)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 23:24:31 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > They are used much more largerly, and even the people that have such
    > names tend to write it the way they prefer to be understood. (see for
    > example how many Chinese people choose their romanized names: it's
    > just a new choice, often unrelated with their Chinese name, not even
    > phonetically...).

    It's the same among the Vietnamese I know: some continue to go by their
    Vietnamese names, while others have adopted "American" names. Of the
    latter group, only those whose Vietnamese name *very closely* resembles
    an American name tend to pick one that is even remotely close (e.g.
    Danh -> Dan, Đức -> Doug). If there is no American name that is nearly
    an exact match, almost anything goes.

    --
    Doug Ewell (not originally a Đức)
    Fullerton, California