Re: Orrmulum -- U+204A -- large and small ?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 09:30:48 CDT

    At 11:52 -0400 2005-08-18, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >I have a few questions concerning the Tironian annd (?).

    I believe the original proposal document was
    N1847? You can also see my paper with examples at
    http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/amperagus.pdf

    >What is the reason of the inclusion of this letter in Unicode?

    We use it in Ireland, and require its use in plain text interchange of data.

    >How is ? used in Gaelic (a Latin script)? As a variant of &?

    No, it is not a variant of &, which is an
    original ligature of e and t. It is used to
    represent the Irish word "agus", which means
    'and'. Even on public signage one may see this.
    We have parking signs which say "Pay & Display"
    right alongside "oc 7 Taispein". One sometimes
    finds it in the abbreviation "7rl", also written
    "srl", short for "agus araile", meaning "etc".
    Compare the occasional use of "&c" for "etc".