Re: 28th IUC paper - Tamil Unicode New

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 18:11:42 CDT

    N. Ganesan wrote, on 21 August 2005:

    >>However, the real issues is not conjuncts, but vowels that precede or
    >>surround the consonant. Isn't it this plus phonetic order that that makes
    >>Tamil Level-2?
    >
    > Isn't the PUA scheme in TUNE, Tamil Nadu level-1?
    > That is what I understood from their paper or Philippe Verdy's mail.
    > http://www.infitt.org/minmanjari/issue2_2/mm-unicodetngovt.html

    If it is anything like described (7 bits for language, 5 bits for
    consonant - clearly anti-Thai - because of links with Sri Lankan Buddhism? -
    4 bits for vowel), it encodes Tamil as a C(V) syllabary, with the consonants
    and vowels only available in the bits. To check how public the
    documentation is, I've applied to join Yahoo group tune_rfc with the
    attached reason:

    "I heard on the Unicode mailing group that the definition of the TUNE
    encoding was available here. I'd like to know what it is so I can check
    that is as bad an idea as I think it is."

    The number of codes needed matches the description - 25 by 16 codes.
    (Plenty of gaps, I'm sure.)

    This simplifies Tamil from level-2 to level-1 by changing from a character
    encoding to an 'orthographic syllable' encoding.

    > If someone produces a font with just the needed glyphs in tscii in PUA
    > http://www.tamil.net/tscii/charset17.gif
    > will it be level-1?

    I believe so.

    By the way, why can't font-encoded Tamil (e.g. using ASCII codes as a hack)
    display be handled on Windows by a GSUB table that handles the re-ordering?
    Or would that make it Level-2 anyway? Where can I find a definition of
    'Level-2'?

    Richard.