RE: Questions re ISO-639-1,2,3

From: Donald Z. Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 16:48:45 CDT

    Response below...

    Quoting Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>:
    > > From: Donald Z. Osborn [mailto:dzo@bisharat.net]
    > > I just did a quick check back with the long list at
    > > http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp and found that the several
    > ISO-639-1
    > > codes I didn't see there before are there now (bm, ee, ff, ig, ki, kr,
    > rn,
    > > rw,
    > > ve...) so presumably the site has been fully updated. (Thanks to
    > whoever
    > > was
    > > reading and fixed this.)
    >
    > Actually, it has been there all along; I'm not sure why you didn't see
    > it, if this is where you were looking.

    Yes, it was http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp where I was looking and
    actually it was finding nothing in the ISO-639-1 column for Bambara, Fulah, and
    Igbo (bm, ff & ig) that prompted my original query that started this whole
    thread. Not to make a big thing of it, but when, after you and Doug correctly
    directed me to the loc.gov site I began to work with the two lists, and I found
    several more missing from the ISO-639-3 site - the list I gave from memory in
    my previous email may not be 100% accurate, but there were definitely a number
    missing from the ISO-639-3 site (but not all: ha, yo, zu and a couple of more
    were indeed there all along).

    Coincidentally the W3C site also has (had? - haven't checked back since a few
    days ago) a list lacking some of the African ISO-639-1 alpha 2's. Must be that
    a bunch of these were added more recently (c. 2000?) than this particular
    edition?

    Thanks again. Don