Re: VCR technical symbols?

From: Neelesh Bodas (
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 11:31:39 CDT

  • Next message: Mark Davis: "Re: VCR technical symbols?"

    On 8/27/05, Jukka K. Korpela <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Guy Steele wrote:
    > > My son asks: does Unicode have the set of symbols usually used
    > > to label tape transport controls on a tape deck or VCR?

    There isn't. I scanned the entire unicode set and didnot find any :-(
    (sorry if I have missed it somehow...!!)

    However, your needs can "somehow" be fullfilled - there is a vertical
    rectangle defined as a code element : U+2759 which is almost identical
    to "one" vertical bar that the pause sign has. You can place the two
    symbols next to each other and somehow give a "feel" of the pause

    > I don't think there is. Generally, Unicode contains characters used in
    > text, not graphic symbols in general.

    As per unicode std. says, it is the "universal character encoding
    standard used for representation of text for computer processing".
    However what surprises me is that it includes a lot many symbols far
    far beyond what I would expect. For example, it contains all symbols
    used in music, card-game, rangoli, chess , trafic symbols and
    thousands of other categories.

     Are all these symbols considered as some or the other form of text?
    Or the aim of unicode is to "index" not just characters but all
    "commonly used" symbols also?


    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat Aug 27 2005 - 11:32:31 CDT