Re: VCR technical symbols?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Aug 29 2005 - 06:37:03 CDT

    On 28/08/2005 18:57, John Hudson wrote:

    > ... Since plain text, in order to be meaningful, is seldom ever
    > linguistically neutral, there seems to me little *need* for such
    > symbols to be exchanged electronically because the words they
    > represent can always be used instead. ...

    I see the point. But it takes significantly more processing, especially
    for a second language speaker of English etc, to understand something
    like the near-tautology "To pause the tape, press the PAUSE button" and
    then to find out which button is actually the PAUSE button (which may
    require consulting a non-plain text picture of the device), than it does
    to understand "To pause the tape, press the ❚❚ button".

    It does also seem somewhat inconsistent that, among a whole lot of
    "Miscellaneous Technical" symbols, U+23CF ⏏ EJECT SYMBOL is encoded, but
    no PAUSE symbol. But the double U+275A ❚ HEAVY VERTICAL BAR which I used
    here may be a good substitute for the PAUSE symbol.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)