Re: VCR technical symbols?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 09:15:58 CDT

    John Hudson <tiro at tiro dot com> wrote:

    > So what makes the VCR/CD user interface symbols more likely candidates
    > for encoding? Presumably the fact that they are used so widely and are
    > standardised among manufacturers. But some software UI icons also seem
    > to have become standardised, e.g. the little floppy icon for 'Save' or
    > the little printer icon for 'Print'. Should these be encoded?

    A few years ago, I almost wrote up a proposal to add LOCK SYMBOL.
    Everyone can picture that one in their minds: a closed padlock,
    signifying that something is locked or secure or password-protected or
    whatever. The reason I never finished the proposal is that I, um,
    couldn't find enough evidence of its use "as" (cf. "alongside") plain
    text.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California